Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why does my car eat so much gas -.-  (Read 2653 times)
krislammm
Supporter

MOCC Rep: +0/-0

« on: February 08, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »

Okay, I know that was a stupid subject title, but it got your attention right?  icon_biggrin

So Charlie, MS3 07 Hatch, eats a lot of gas & I'm not sure if it's a mazda thing. But I usually commute to and from LA and I spend a good $35 in two days. My avg speed on the freeway is 60mph. I spoke to another Mazda owner and he said that it's normal? But then I was told something about a gas cap, about it being loose?  icon_eek

Anyways, I just think that $35-$40 in two days is a lot for very little distance I drive.

And I'm not a fast driver..nor do I have a heavy foot on the gas pedal.

My parents really want to give Charlie back to get a VW Golf Sad(((

So is it, normal? OR... is something wrong with Charlie?

I got Charlie as a used car..so I'm not sure if he was sick before hand..

Help (:

krislammm Smiley
Frank Templeton Jr.
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +595/-3

They call me MisterBASHful

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »

even I dont use that much gas and I have a very very very heavy foot. Something has to be wrong with the car, unless your FoS.

Hey I'm an asshole, deal with it.
who wouldn't love 5 guys?  icon_lol
SHaW
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +300/-11

FatlaceTV

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »

Krislam, I didnt know you had a MS3, thought you had a Mz3.
If the gas cap was loose you should of gotten a check engine light and the car would be acting really shitty.

2009 TRUE RED MazdaSpeed3 GT NAV
krislammm
Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »

If the gas cap was loose you should of gotten a check engine light and the car would be acting really shitty.

SHUT UP ms3mz3m3 same thing!  cussing

But anyways.. I don't know what's wrong Sad
krislammm
Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:45:43 PM »

even I dont use that much gas and I have a very very very heavy foot. Something has to be wrong with the car, unless your FoS.

FoS?

Que?
Frank Templeton Jr.
Mazda Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »

SHUT UP ms3mz3m3 same thing!  cussing

But anyways.. I don't know what's wrong Sad

Not the same thing. Very much different especially in fuel consumption

FoS?

Que?

Full Of Shit. As in, you are exaggerating how gentle you drive the vehicle. Not accusing, just throwing it out there.
Harry_Sack(ramento)6
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +21/-0

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »

Something must be wrong with the car. More importantly, how many miles a day are you driving? Ontario to LA can be quite a hike. Speed3 and regular 3 are two different things in many ways, milage being one of the many.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:54:00 PM by Harry_Sack(ramento)6 » Logged

krislammm
Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »

Full of Sh*t. Something must be wrong with the car. More importantly, how many miles a day ate you driving? Ontario to LA can be quite a hike.

Oh.. okay. Well, I wasn't exaggerating .. I mean I'm not an aggressive driver, nor a gentle [?] driver? I'd like to think I drive normally?

I think from Ontario to LA is at the least 30 miles? On a full tank, I go to and from school, LA, and I'm at half a tank at the end of the day.
Frank Templeton Jr.
Mazda Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »

on a bad day I will get 60 miles to a quarter tank. If you have an MS3, stay out of boost, if you have an MZ3, get it looked at.
krislammm
Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

and my bad... now i know the diff between an ms3 and a mz3  icon_lol

krislammm
Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »

Oh, booooo :/

Will do! Thank You!
Harry_Sack(ramento)6
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +21/-0

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »

Two days of driving like that shouldn't cost any more than $20 in a 3.
CloudX
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +43/-0

'09 CWP MS3

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »

You should have more than a half of tank if it was full. My girl uses 60-70$ a week 86 miles a day. It almost never varies except on the friday's she meets my ex to pick up my son. She goes 80 miles out of the way and puts 20 in on those Fridays. The drive is 43 miles down the 74 to palm springs. A windy mountain road and that goes from a little more than sea level to 4500 ft. She still averages 23mpg. She is a coaster not a slow driver but she doesn't like to shift or accelerate too quickly.

2009 CWP Mazdaspeed 3 - Few Mods - N9th Racing Suite - HT Tune
1998.5 Silver Frost Ford Contour SVT #5626 of 6535 - Few mods - Braced, weld-in SFCs
I3eanpizza
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +43/-3

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:09 PM »

do you have a lot of stuff in your car?  and how fast do you usually go?  I Dont even use 35 bux of gas in 2 days... and i gun my car.. and im boosted.

08 Mazdaspeed 3 [Piggy]
|| CP-e TMIC|| CP-e RMM || Cobb Turbo Inlet Pipe || Cobb AP ||
|| Injen CAI  || TurboXS BPV ||
|| SSP Stage 2 Kit|| dOMO Front Mirror Hanger
|| DDM 55w HID || Apexcone 35w HID fog || Circuit Sport Oil Catch Can || StreetUnit Silicone Recir || Tri-point Rear Sway Bar || EBC Red Stuff Front Brakes || H&R Springs || Tint. 

:Coming up:  Churches Pro-tune
Echo5iveDelta
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:10 PM »

To help you out we need more concrete facts instead of putting $40 of gas every two days and that you consider yourself a normal driver. You say you average 60 on the freeway, but how many miles per day are freeway vs. stop and go city traffic? How much traffic are you sitting in while in LA? Are you running your AC? Stop and go conditions while using the AC eats gasoline like a fat-kid eats Twinkies.

But still a good idea to get everything checked. How many miles total on your 3? This alone could help in guiding you to what's potentially going wrong be-it bad spark plugs, fuel injectors, poor tire inflation, etc. There are a lot of variables to could contribute to poor gas mileage, some mechanical, some electrical, some due to neglect, some user error.

Also try this, the next time you top off your gas tank, reset the trip odometer and at the end of each day write down how many miles you've driven. Start keeping track of the numbers. It helps, when you start to see the numbers change then you know something is wrong with your car. I've got a free app on my Droid phone that keeps track of every time I put gas in the car, calculates my average mileage, as well as reminds me of oil changes and the such... its a great tool and you see where your money is going, and most importantly you see when/if your mileage starts to go to shit...

Just my $0.02

-Mike, USMC, ret.
keymaster
Pro Member

MOCC Rep: +18/-0

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »

I was just about to say all that...you need to track your mileage and give us the numbers in order to determine how bad it really is.  "$35" is not a MPG figure, you need to use the trip odometer to figure out your measured MPG.  There are a lot of things that might cause mileage problems, from the MAF being dirty to spark plug problems, boost leaks, and it's really difficult to narrow it down based on the lack of information you have shared.
whitems3 ftw
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »

on a bad day I will get 60 miles to a quarter tank. If you have an MS3, stay out of boost, if you have an MZ3, get it looked at.

what???!??! thats what i get normally? hahaha on my bad days i get 30-40  icon_redface
Jonathon
Mazda Fanatic

MOCC Rep: +205/-12

..::Atenza::..

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:39 AM »

wow sux, sorry to hear, start by checking everything under the hood, Vacume lines, filter, MAF, see if you can find anything thats a miss under the hood, may be something simple, hopefully

R.I.P. 6S-GT GSM Sad
Links for you Mazda (Speed or not): http://www.therpmstore.com/    http://crossoverauto.com/crossovershop/    http://www.gp-werks.com/

Also if you're going to drag race a VW make sure it's Jesse in his Dad's Jetta and you're wearing snake skin pants in your 100k+ S2K
tANNERRRR
Pro Member

MOCC Rep: +11/-0

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »

i feel like i have the same problem. my driving is 90% streets. never use the AC. windows down most of the time. i get about 220 miles and the gas light comes on. 05 mz3
i have read that 04s and 05s had problems with gas mileage and there were recalls for something related to that
Echo5iveDelta
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 01:11:36 AM »

I only use AC when absolutely necessary, and I still get 300+ per tank when driving spirited. When driving with fuel efficiency in mind, I can push 420+ miles per tank. If the 04-05 models had a gas mileage problem, mine wasn't one of them.

-Mike, USMC, ret.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to:  

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 26 queries.